The mountain exploded with the power of ten million tons of dynamite...
Eleven-year-old Jessie Marlowe has grown up with the beautiful Mount St. Helens always in the background. She's hiked its winding trails, dived into its cold lakes, and fished for trout in its streams. Just looking at Mount St. Helens out her window made Jess feel calm, like it was watching over her somehow. Of course, she knew the mountain was a volcano... but not the active kind, not a volcano that could destroy and kill!
Then Mount St. Helens explodes with unimaginable fury. Jess suddenly finds herself in the middle of the deadliest and most destructive volcanic event in U.S. history. Ash and rock are spewing everywhere. Can Jess escape in time?
BUY THE BOOK AND AUDIOBOOK
Watch Some Videos
- “Visit Mt. St. Helens with Lauren Tarshis”
- “Storyworks Behind the Scenes: Mountain of Fire.”
- Video Read-Aloud of “Mountain of Fire.”
- “Fifth grade teacher Jenelle Neal talks about teaching with I Survived: Mt. St. Helens and the entire I Survived Series.”
- Storyworks Author Visit Video: Beauty and Disaster
Book Club Activities & Resources
Click here for quizzes, discussion questions, activity sheets and more
READ AN ARTICLE
Lauren’s Mt. St. Helens Slideshow
Click the image below to start the slideshow!
Click on any slideshow image to zoom in.